The 2008 event had 302 participants from 63 employers attending 8 breakfasts. There were 11 Bike and Walk Groups to choose from, and 30 sponsors. By leaving their cars at home for one day, the 302 participants SAVED 4,193 milesand 1.86 Tons of Co2.
For commuters who are unsure about which route to take, how to navigate the roads, or how long it will take to get to work, the UV event offers experienced local Bike and Walk commuters who will lead small groups into the UV employment areas. Maps for some well-tested routes are also on the website. The commutes utilize common roads and groomed trails including the Upper Valley’s Northern Rail Trail to get to work. Check the website http://www.bike2work-day.com/ for route maps and group meeting times.
Breakfasts vary but generally offer a variety of fresh fruit, bagels, juice and coffee. Like-minded participants chat about road conditions, cold and fitness. Sign-in at the breakfast to be entered into a drawing featuring a $100 savings bond from Mascoma Savings Bank, an I-pod Shuffle from Systems Plus, lunch from Harpoon Brewery, gas cards from Lebanon Jiffy Mart, walking shoes from Farmway, Inc.-Vermont Gear, membership at the RVC, and more all donated by generous local sponsors.
The 2009 Breakfast locations are:
- Hanover - Buck Rd: Upper Valley Land Trust, 8-9:00AM
- Hanover - Etna Rd: Hypertherm Cafeteria, 7-8:30AM
- Hanover - Hopkins Center Plaza: Dartmouth College, 6:30-8:30AM with a tech from Omer & Bob’s Sport Shop on-site
- Lebanon - Downtown: Colburn Park, 7-8:30AM with an EMS tech on-site
- Lebanon - Centerra Park: Lebanon Food Co-op, 7-8:30AM
- Hartford - Downtown: Hartford Municipal Building Lawn, 7-8:30AM
- Norwich - Rte 5: King Arthur Flour Bakers Store, 7:30-8:30
- Lebanon: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Level 1 Dining Room, 6:30-9AM (Employees only)
Details at http://www.bike2work-day.com/. This event was co-organized by Upper Valley Rideshare, a ride matching service for NH and the UV region since 1992, and Upper Valley Trails Alliance, promoting trails and healthy living, connecting communities.